Pulp Fiction (1994)
My favorite thing about periods is bursting into tears for literally no reason
i was tagged by ivory-to-steel
1. If money, time, prior obligations, lack of skill or knowledge, etc. were no issue, what would you spend the whole day tomorrow doing?
I would probably go to the aquarium in Atlanta, GA. I’ve always wanted to go, because it’s one of (maybe the?) biggest aquariums in the country and the only aquarium outside of Asia with whale sharks in captivity. Whale sharks are one of my favorite animals and if I could see one in person I’d probably just cry happy tears and stare at them all day.
2. What do you normally get at Starbucks (or your favorite place to get drinks)?
This summer, I’ve been getting a Blackberry Mojito iced tea lemonade with one pump of peppermint (the peppermint makes it more mojito-y). It’s delicious. But if I want caffeine, I’ll usually get a vanilla macchiato (iced or hot).
3. What is one book, movie, game, or band you ALWAYS recommend to others who are looking for something new?
Oh god, it’s hard to pick just one. I’ll always recommend my friends read Franny & Zooey by J.D. Salinger.
4. Are there any hobbies or habits you’ve been saying you want to pick up or drop for a long time now? (Whatever your answer, you totally should give it a shot today!)
I used to write creatively all the time and I’ve stopped within the past few years mostly because I’ve just been busy. I definitely want to get back into it.
5. Say your family, best friends, etc. were coming to visit you. What “tourist-y” or otherwise memorable thing would you do with them?
Well, since I just moved to Columbus I still feel like kind of a tourist myself. I’d definitely want to go to the zoo since I haven’t even been yet and it’s supposed to be awesome.
6. What have you been doing to make yourself happy lately?
I’ve been trying to practice the art of “instant self-forgiveness,” as one of my friends calls it. I’m usually very hard on myself, and lately I’ve just been reminding myself that it’s okay to fuck up.
7. What is one word or phrase you say so often, you’re kind of known for it within your social circle?
The only thing I can think of is I often say stuff like: “I want to eat a thing,” “Can you help me with a thing?” “Today, I learned a thing…” etc.
8. Who or what did you learn the most from as a kid?
When I was between the grades of, say, fourth and sixth grade, I used to write constantly. I wrote a novel in the fifth grade (I call it that very very loosely) and that helped foster my love for writing and creating and definitely made me a better writer in general.
9. Perfect concert line-up (make it a whole festival if you have to):
The Black Keys
Not very cohesive but there it is.
10. What do you feel is the biggest stumbling block in your life right now? If your life is peachy keen at the moment, what was the biggest thing you had to overcome to make it that way?
I just started grad school which includes taking grad classes AND teaching a first-year writing seminar. My plan, post-grad school, is to teach college english, so it’s frustrating that I haven’t been instantly amazing at teaching. It’s really fucking hard and it can be frustrating. That’s why I’m trying harder to forgive myself when I fuck up because the only way to learn to teach is through experience.
11. Describe your perfect road trip.
I’d love to just explore the western part of the country — Oregon, Washington, California, Nevada, Phoenix, New Mexico, etc. I’ve been to New Mexico once but I was only there for a couple days for a conference. Otherwise, I haven’t been to any of those places.
I’m gonna break the rules because I legitimately don’t have 11 people to tag, but I still wanted to answer Sasha’s questions ;)